Google's Chrome browser was updated to version 31 today. Chrome's rapid release cycle is great for quickly rolling out security fixes and new features, but it can also be a bit of a pain for amateur tool developers like me. On more than one occasion while working on Hindsight, I found that a new Chrome release had broken my tool.
I decided I needed to have controlled samples of Chrome SQLite databases from each version of Chrome. I wanted ensure that my tool worked on all of them and that I hadn't missed any new artifacts as they were introduced. I developed a 'script' of actions, which included visiting common websites, searching, clicking links, and downloading files. For each of the 30 versions of Chrome, I installed the browser in a fresh VM, ran through my 'script' manually, closed Chrome, and made a logical image of the Chrome directory with FTK Imager.
I took the resulting AD1 files, mounted each of them as a drive, and ran some scripts I developed to list the schema of each database file. This worked up to point, but I discovered that sometimes while the column would remain the same, the format of the data in it would change (like a timestamp changing from epoch to WebKit). I then ran a modified version to pull the schema for each file and one row of example data to catch these types of changes.
This resulted in a pretty crazy looking table in Excel, but I gained some good insight into how Chrome had evolved over time. I also found a number of fields that had status codes that I wasn't familiar with. I was able to find what they meant in the Chrome source code (FOSS FTW), and added that information to the chart (and Hindsight) as well.
I thought that others in the DFIR community might find this of value, so I cleaned it up a bit and made it into a reference chart. In an attempt to make it a manageable size, I didn't include some databases and certain tables that I didn't think were significant.
I hope you will find this useful!